UN Offers To Help Prosecute Baby Doc

The United Nations human rights chief has offered Haitian authorities technical assistance for prosecuting crimes committed during the 15-year rule of former president Jean-Claude ‘Baby Doc’ Duvalier, who returned to the country last month from exile.

There are major issues concerning human rights abuses that took place in Haiti from 1971 to 1986 when Duvalier was in power, according to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).

Stressing that serious human rights violations should not go unpunished, High Commissioner Navi Pillay said in a release issued today that there was no statute of limitations under international law for violations such as torture, extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances and rape.

“Haiti has an obligation to investigate the well-documented serious human rights violations that occurred during the rule of Mr. Duvalier, and to prosecute those responsible for them,” she said. “Such systematic violations of rights cannot remain unaddressed. The thousands of Haitians who suffered under this regime deserve justice.”

“I call on the Haitian authorities to send a message to the world that their national courts can ensure accountability for serious violations of human rights, even in difficult humanitarian and political contexts,” she added.

Duvalier, who returned to Haiti on January 16, after 25 years in exile, was charged with corruption, misappropriation of funds and illicit association just days after his arrival in the country.

Noting the pending legal proceedings  against the former leader, the independent UN expert on human rights in Haiti  earlier this month urged the international community to “allow justice to take  its course” in the Caribbean nation.

“At a time when the international community strengthens its support for the restoration of the rule of law in Haiti, unwavering support to the fight against impunity for serious crimes would be a good signal to send to the people of Haiti and particularly to victims and victims’ families,” said Michel Forst.

Source

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: