FIFA – Investigations Into Empty (SA World Cup) Seats Underway
June 14, 2010 Leave a comment
Investigations as to why certain seats were unoccupied at the opening match between Bafana Bafana and Mexico on Friday are still underway, FIFA said on Sunday.
It said the ticketing department was looking at a possibility of transport to the stadium as having been behind the no show by some supporters.
“At this stage we cannot say anything conclusive but we are investigating whether transport problems played a role,” said FIFA spokesperson Nicolas Maingot.
A total of 84 900 people were confirmed to have attended the opening match but there were empty seats estimated at 3000 even though the match had been sold out. There were also empty seats spotted during the game between Greece and Korea at Port Elizabeth’s Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Saturday even though the match was reportedly sold out. Rich Mkhondo, spokesperson for the Local Organising Committee also promised that the organisers will ensure that police investigates the spectre of crime that tries to hijack the tournament. This include a case involving a Chinese TV crew who were apparently robbed at gunpoint and a spokesman for Greece saying 1,500 euros in cash had been stolen at the team hotel.
South African police passed their first major security test of the World Cup on Saturday as potential flashpoint matches involving Argentina, USA and England went off peacefully.