Arrest In Canadian Death

Investigations into the robbery, beating and subsequent death of a Canadian visitor are being expanded to Canada following the arrest of a suspect in Barbados.

Commissioner of Police, Darwin Dottin, not only announced lawmen had arrested and were about to charge a 24-year-old Barbadian man in connection with February 28 incident at Long Beach Christ Church yesterday, but disclosed the Royal Barbados Police Force was sending one of its officers to North America “to pursue that end of the investigation”.

Dottin, speaking during a Press conference at Police Headquarters, Roebuck Street, Bridgetown, said that while there had been “substantial progress”, investigations of the “very unfortunate incident” was still at a delicate stage, and in addition to sending one of its own to Canada, police were adding an attorney-at-law to its team of investigators in light of the several administrative and legal processes remaining.“I am very happy to tell you that the investigation has made substantial progress and we have in custody a 24-year-old man and charges will soon be laid against him for matters arising out of this incident. The investigators have recovered property, jewellery as well as a camera and an imitation firearm that was reportedly used in the attack on the two visitors.”

“I can confirm that he is a Barbadian, but I am not going to say anything more about him. Under our Constitution, a person is guaranteed a fair trial and I am not going to say anything this morning that would be prejudicial to that trial.”

Dottin said because the attack took place in Barbados, but Schwarzfeld had died back home, there were certain procedures to be followed and some information that local police needed, including the coroner’s report from Canada to determine the cause of death.
“This is the first phase of this inquiry. You will note in particular that the incident happened in Barbados, but Mrs. Schwarzfeld died in Canada, so there are some administrative and legal issues that have to be sorted out. We are in touch with the Canadian High Commissioner to get the findings of the coroner. His findings certainly are important in moving forward with the legal process.
The cause of death has to be determined and we will have that information from the coroner in Canada in due course,” he noted.

“There are also some other issues that we have to tidy up and we will be sending one of our investigators to Canada to pursue that end of the investigation. Because of these legal arrangements and necessities I am going to be asking that an attorney-at-law be assigned to the team of investigators such that we move forward in a very sure-footed way to bring this matter to conclusion,” he added.
Source: barbadosadvocate.com

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: